Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Groceries 2.18.09 Wow!!!

Ahhhh, Wednesday. My favorite day of the week... shopping day. It just makes me so happy. :) Today, there were some really great sales, and I took full advantage of them. I must say, I am getting much more efficient too. I discovered this week that I can see a preview of the sales/coupon shopping lists at Albertsons, Smith's, and Maceys the evening before the sale at Pinching Your Pennies. Before, I had to wait until Wednesday morning to view/customize/print the list from Grocery Smarts, but this week, I was able to view/print on Tuesday evening, so that I could have all my coupons clipped and everything organized for an early start on Wednesday! It made it so much more wonderful. The only downside is that, as far as I can tell, on the PYP preview, you can't customize the list and print only the things that you want. I was still able to have half the work done the evening before. So today, I was able to have the whole family up, dressed, and fed, have been to 3 grocery stores, dropped off 4-year-old T-Nootie at preschool, and arrived back home to put 1-year-old Bren-Dunks down for his morning nap... all by 9:15 am. I call that pretty darn efficient, and I love it!

Today, I bought this:


The total that I spent out the door at all three stores was $67.51. HOWEVER, upon checkout, I received 4 of these little beauties (this is a scan of an old one, so the exp. date is not correct):

I also used the $10 coupon that I received last week on today's purchase (which I factored into last week's purchase total), so the bottom line on this week's whole purchase was $37.51!!! Confused? :)
Here is the bottom line breakdown of all that I purchased:
  • $10.00 - 6 gallons milk (4-2%, 2-whole) - $1.67 ea
  • $3.52 - 4 pkgs American singles cheese 8 oz - $.88 ea
  • $1.00 - 2 Campbell's Soup at Hand 10.75 oz - $.50 ea
  • $2.97 - 3 Chicken of the Sea chunk white Albacore tuna 6 oz - $.99 ea
  • $1.57 - 1 loaf Grandma Sycamore's bread 20 oz - $1.57 ea
  • $.90 - 2 pkgs Mentos sugar-free gum 15 pcs - $.45 ea
  • $.75 - 3 Betty Crocker cake mixes 19.5 oz - $.25 ea
  • $.68 - 4 Betty Crocker frostings 16 oz - $.17 ea
  • $2.52 - 4 Betty Crocker Premium brownies 26.7 oz - $.63 ea
  • $.80 - 2 Cheerios Snack Mix 8 oz - $.40 ea
  • FREE - 2 Chex Mix 8 oz - FREE
  • $.65 - 1 Pillsbury Crescent Roll tube 8 oz - $.65 ea
  • $.40 - 4 Pillsbury Grands biscuits 16.3 oz - $.10 ea
  • FREE - 6 Pillsbury Grands biscuits 16.3 oz - FREE
  • $2.00 - 2 Pillsbury Ready to Bake cookies 16.5 oz - $1.00 ea
  • $2.60 - 4 Pillsbury Toaster Strudel 11.5 oz - $.65 ea
  • $2.00 - 8 Progresso Soups 19 oz - $.25 ea
  • $1.00 - 1 cottage cheese 16 oz - $1.00 ea
  • $1.29 - 1 dozen large eggs - $1.29 ea
  • $1.68 - 8 envelopes McCormick's seasoning mixes - $.21 ea
  • $2.76 - 4 cans Enchilada Sauce - $.69 ea
  • $.90 - 1.3 lbs fresh broccoli - $.69/lb
  • $.99 - 1 Dole iceberg salad 12 oz - $.99 ea
  • $.71 - 1.2 lbs fresh Roma tomatoes - $.59/lb
  • $2.99 - 3 lb bag Gala apples - $2.99 ea
  • $1.68 - 1.13 lb fresh asparagus - $1.49/lb
Add it all up, add the tax, and it equals the bottom line (after the $10 coupons are factored in) of spent $37.51, saved $116.46 (75.6%)!!!!
To highlight all that I got for FREE:
  • 6 tubes Pillsbury Grands biscuits
  • 2 bags Chex Mix
Oh why, oh why, can't everybody love grocery shopping as much as I do? :)
As a side note, I'm especially thrilled about keeping this purchase so far below my weekly budget ($50). I will not be adding the difference to next week's purchase. Actually, I will be trying to keep next week's purchase far below the budget as well. That is because I will be picking up my monthly food co-op order this Saturday, and I need to make up the difference throughout the month. This month, my co-op order comes to $59, but wait until you see all that I will get! Stay tuned....
For more inspiring shopping success stories, visit The Grocery Cart Challenge.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

great deals!
just wondering what store offers the $10 coupons, I've never seen one like it.
your store is probably several states away from me though......

Rhonda said...

Hi Ruth,
thanks for the answer. We used to have an Albertsons in my town but I think all, or almost all, the ones in my state closed.
It is now a Food Pyramid and they have great meat but their sales leave a lot to be desired.

have fun getting the most out of your $10 coupons!