Thursday, February 26, 2009

Groceries 2.25.09

I'm a day late, and a dollar short, but that's the way this week has been. I was less organized this week than usual, so not only did I miss out on some great deals, but I was running all over town needlessly. I'll do better next week.

Here is what I purchased (at Smith's, Albertsons, and Maceys):


  • 4 - 12 oz pkgs Buddig Deli Cuts sandwich meat - $1.19 ea
  • 2 - 16 oz pkgs WF Jumbo Franks - $.99 ea
  • 1 - 2 lb bag baby carrots - $1.69
  • 1 - Reese's peanut butter cups - $.39 (treat for 4-year-old being good while shopping)



  • 1 - 16 oz Nabisco Saltines - $.97
  • 6 - 7 oz Banquet pot pies - 3/$1.00 (freeze for Hubby's lunch when there are no leftovers)
  • 2 - 1.9 oz granular Splenda sweetener - $.85 ea (essential with a diabetic husband)
  • 2 - dozen large eggs - $.99 ea
  • 1 - 14 ct. Crystal Lite on the Go - $1.75
  • 1 - 20 oz Nabisco Oreo cookies - $1.75 (required to provide 1 pkg of cookies to preschool each month)

  • 3 - gallons milk - $1.49 ea
  • 3 - 10.75 oz Campbell's Soup at Hand - $.80 ea
  • 1 - 12 oz Hawaii's Own juice blends - $.70
  • 3 - 10.75 oz Albertsons chicken noodle soup - 3/$1.00
  • 4 - 8 oz pkgs cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, mexican blend) - $1.48 ea
  • 1 - Oral B Pulsar toothbrush - $3.50 (to help 4-year-old improve his teethbrushing)

The total I spent on all the above is $38.60, saved $54.41 (58.5%). (Technically, I only spent $18.60 because I used 2 $10/purchase Catalina coupons, but I factor those into the totals on the day I receive them, so I'm considering it $38.60.) Unfortunately, I also had several items I needed for the week that weren't on sale at any of the other stores, so I also jumped over to Walmart after dropping my son off at preschool.
There, I bought:




  • 1 box Carnation Essentials - $2.92
  • 1 bottle vinegar - $.84
  • 1 bottle grated parmesan - $2.74
  • 2 cans pinto beans - $.62 ea
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro - $.30
  • 2 eggplant - $2.97
  • 1 red onion - $.55
  • 1 pkg Life Balance whole wheat tortillas - $2.03
  • 1 4-pack BeneFIT high fiber yogurt - $1.78


Walmart total: $15.88.

THEN, I had a coupon for a free loaf of french bread at Albertsons, but their bread comes out of the oven fresh and hot at 4 pm. So, at 4, I ran back over to Albertsons (only 3 blocks away) to grab a couple more dozen eggs ($.99 ea) and received my free loaf of french bread, which we ate with our dinner that night. :)

Total: $2.04, saved $3.09 (60.2%)




GRAND TOTAL for the day's shopping: $56.52 (over budget again!!! )
Grand savings: $57.50 (50.4%)
Okay, but not fantastic. It was not an extremely successful, feel-proud-of-myself shopping days. I didn't save as much as I normally can, I was all over the place (4 stores!!!), and I was just generally disorganized. Ugh.

For more, visit The Grocery Cart Challenge.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

There were some great deals in there though! I love it when Albertson's gives out the free french bread coupons!

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

don't beat your self up for going over budget! I'm using an envelope for my grocery cash. I can't go over... I have really grown to like the envelope system. Keeps me accountable. I try to price all of my items when i make my list, then I'm usually over on some, and under on some. it pretty much evens out and then I'm more likely to stay around the price i had thought the bill would be.

I'm half on that Dave Ramsey band wagon, half on the crown financial ministries road.

I'm kinda rambling. sorry.